The new 16m Tamar class lifeboat Irene Muriel Rees arrived at her home of Walton and Frinton on 10 April, escorted by her predecessor Kenneth Thelwall II, the Harwich lifeboat Albert Brown and Clacton’s Atlantic 75, as well as the restored 1900-built lifeboat James Stevens No.14. The impressive line-up of lifeboats old and new was watched by over 1,000 people from the end of Walton pier, who applauded as the new lifeboat came alongside.
The Tamar is the first new lifeboat at Walton since 1953, as the station has operated a series of second-hand lifeboats. She has been largely funded by a £1 million donation from local benefactor the late Mrs Rees. The 47ft Tyne lifeboat being replaced will be sold out of RNLI service.