The mystery ship shows Fairtry III, one of the three Fairtry stern trawlers built for Charles Salveson Co of Leith in the 1950s after their successful development of the stern ramp trawlers. Following the company’s withdrawal from whaling, new trading activities were pursued. This led the company to convert the surplus Algerine class minesweeper, HMS Felicity (1944), into the fishing vessel Fairfee. They decided to pull the trawling nets up a stern ramp instead of over the side. After five years of experimentation, she was laid up, but was followed by three purpose-built vessels: Fairtry (1954/2,605gt), Fairtry II (1959/2,857gt) and Fairtry III (1960/12,857gt). However, due to increased competition, the company were forced to withdraw all three vessels by 1968.
Tom Lamb, Lynnwood, USA