The future of the Spurn Lightship has been secured thanks to a multi-million pound investment from National Highways, which is carrying out major improvements to the A63 at Castle Street and is contributing just over £1 million to Hull’s maritime regeneration project.
This will see the lightship berthed in Hull Marina next to the recently completed Murdoch’s Connection footbridge.
Additional funding from Hull City Council, the National Lottery Heritage Fund and the government’s Designated Funds programme will be used to improve accessibility and signage.
Built as Light Vessel No.12 for the Humber Conservancy Board in 1927 at a cost of £17,000 by Goole Shipbuilding and Repairing Co, she had a distinctive light and foghorn which helped guide shipping in and out of the Humber for almost 50 years before her withdrawal in 1975.
After being laid up for eight years, she was purchased by Hull City Council in 1983, refurbished and opened to the public at Hull Marina in 1987. In October she was moved to Dunston’s Shipyard for restoration to begin.