More than 300 visitors toured the historic tender Daniel Adamson in Liverpool on 28 October 2010, when she was opened to the public on Heritage Open Days, which are organised by English Heritage. She was the only ship in England taking part in the event. The 1903 Tranmere-built vessel is the UK’s last steam-powered tug tender and began life as a Mersey ferry linking Ellesmere Port and Liverpool. In 1921 the coal-fired ship was sold to the Manchester Ship Canal Company. Its directors had her sumptuously refitted in the ocean liner art deco style as their inspection vessel in 1936. Known as ‘the Royal Yacht of the Ship Canal’, Daniel Adamson remained in this venerable role until boiler trouble caused retirement in 1984.